RE: public opinion pohl

From: Cunningham, Donald (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 08:22:54 PDT

Gary, Jay et al.

Sorry for my outburst! I did not mean to cast any stones, first or
otherwise. I am as prone as anyone to the "temptation of certainty" as
Maturana and Varela call it in The Tree of Knowledge. I have witnessed too
many wars in my lifetime (literal and figurative) where each side was
utterly convinced of the rightness of their position and the utter
bankruptcy of the opposition view. I can't think of many instances where the
combatants suddenly realized the self evident correctness of the opposition
view. So if schools need re-formation, my guess is that we will need
something more akin to Gary's mysticism than a re-design or revolution. As a
child (well, OK, young adult) of the 60s I learned that many things can be
accomplished by living your beliefs rather than preaching them. So often we
seek the solution to perceived problems in a NEW method, a NEW curriculum, a
NEW model of schooling and to justify the NEW we have to discredit the old.
But if I understand Gary correctly, he is saying that the essence of
schooling lies in very humble but powerful forces of people (call them
teachers for now) thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to work with kids
(call them students for now) to foster their intellectual, emotional and,
even spiritual growth. Nothing we do should get in the way of that. Anything
that does get in the way is hereby FORBIDDEN! But all else is possible.

But, as Diane noted, this is easier offer from the comfort of the academy
than in the trenches of the public school classroom and elsewhere.

I will go and be alone with my sandwich now.........djc