RE: Education reform, was Re(3): job

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 22:19:44 PDT

Just the theme of a possible research proposal a group of us here are
working on. And a theme sounded in some recent evaluation reports on system
reform: no one has done a very concrete job of identifying just what counts
as "high quality" education from actual examples where it really happens
... and no one has done a very good job of getting beyond the
one-size-fits-all mentality to parse out what aspects of the examples of
high-quality are site-specific and what aspects are potentially
site-adaptable elsewhere. We jump too soon to the information-poor level of
the abstract. We do the wrong kind of generalization (make it more
abstract, then transfer it); we need a science of the particular ... we
need to understand how "high quality" ought to be different in each site,
not how it should be the same in each site. But that kind of science would
not support centralized bureaucratic power and control, would it?

I do think screaming does some good. Rationality alone is not the answer to
our present dilemma. There must come a point when we just say "this is
crap", it is an insult to our intelligence and our humanity. But you are
right, there is then an obligation to provide alternatives. But they are
not, I think, minor alternatives ... better standards, better evaluation
measures ... they must be an alternative paradigm in some much more
fundamental sense. And I think one key to that different paradigm is a
strong move away from uniformity and standardization ... that in some sense
every student should learn a different and unique assemblage of knowledges
and skills, should follow a different pathway in learning, should be
evaluated as a unique work of human achievement and not by any uniform or
directly comparative set of Procrustean standards. This is an extreme
version, but it makes the point.

I am also not arguing for a totally individualistic approach to education.
The value of uniqueness is in its unique contribution to collaborative
partnerships. Just as learning is fundamentally social and collaborative in
how we learn, so it should also be a primary goal of education that we
learn how to partner with others who differ from us on many dimensions ...
NOT so that we can partner with ANYONE ... we also have to recognize the
uniqueness of collaboratives; not all combinations work. We have to learn
how to tell who we can effectively work with, and what kind of
complementary partners we need for various sorts of tasks, or how to find
this out.

A rationality that emulates the science of electrons, all of which are
functionally identical, is not rational if applied to people (or schools,
or cities, or collaborative groups, or classrooms), whose VALUE is in their
potential to be unique. And unpredictable, especially in combination.

Nor would this paradigm eliminate common foundations ... every path to high
quality passes through the truly essential principles and knowledges of our
cultural tradition ... that is in effect a matter of definition, of their
inevitability. The REST of what gets canonized in the curriculum has no
empirical basis whatsoever ... no one KNOWS what everyone needs to know,
what is actually most widely USED ... curricula are not based on
ethnographic observations, but on received opinion, on what someone WANTS
people to know or do ... or in rare cases, as in medicine, on 'best
practice' which has empirical support ... but apart from circular reasoning
(GIVEN this not-empirically-based school curriculum, the empirically best
way for teachers to teach it is ...), the notion of 'best practice' itself
depends on the functional equivalence of practices ... which is already
iffy in the case of medicine (what is best practice for most is not good
practice for some because even biologically there is a lot of individual
uniqueness in people), and almost entirely uncredible in the case of education.

Scream for reason's sake; articulate for passion's.

JAY.