opening up memory

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 07:11:04 PDT

Christophe-- There is a very deep and interesting mine to be explored if
we are to head down the path of discussing memory. There is the middleton
and Edwards book on collective remembering, the Star and Bowker recent
book, *Sorting things out* which moves from knowledge in things and places
in the home to the same principle at work in the technical infrastructure of
society, a new collection on Bartlett...... and......

I believe that the incidental/involuntary distinction found in Smirnov and
Zinchenko remains relevant and a place where American and Soviet views
long diverged. I am not sure they any longer do, but perhaps so.
mike