Re(4): remembering

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 06:12:16 PDT

jay-guy sez
>but that Memory at each
>subsequent time depends on what went before, which depended on what went
>further before, etc.), but the Remembering is intermittent? or is it only
>the consciousness of Remembering that is intermittent, and that R. too is
>always feeding back, feeding up from the unconscious processes?

i'd emphasize again the function that forgetting plays in remembering. the
skips and gaps and unevenness of remembering is likely related to willful
amnesia, i'd venture. there is also the question of value, how we
ascertain what is worth remembering, how we determine a "forgettable"
experience. because the unconscious has no language, time, or communicable
character, it is the act of translation from unconscious to conscious that
determines what might be a memory, or what might be an act of remembering.

>In the old, static view, there was laying something down into memory,
>what
>was stored in memory, and the process of recalling it back up from
>storage.
>In the dynamical view we can't say any of these things anymore ... but we
>need some new distinctions like those you are proposing to speak of
>memory/remembering in more detail, and not just as a unitary one-name
>phenomenon.

Heideggar (What is Called Thinking) writes extensively on remembering,
re-calling, as in calling upon the self to re-associate with other aspects
of Being, the emphasis on the "re", as in again, repeat, re-member,
re-call, re-cull, re-write, re-invent, re-do, re-animate, and so on.
what is re-called is a memory, a remembering, an effort at assemblage, a
re-assembling of the present, as a continuous experience that is both
timeless in the unconscious sense (the unconscious has no time-sense) and
the culturalization of this into the narrated conscious, the re-writing of
self/other into the immediacy of the act. that's why spontaneous memory
startles us. the translation has taken place without out wilful writing,
but in the untapped resources of existence, being is in a constant state
of renewal.

diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2