total lived experience

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 20:28:36 PDT

Jay-- I think it is doable -- taking into account the total (or as total as
we can ever be about knowing one another) lived reality of students. But
the amount of reorganziation of the institution of schooling it would require
is staggering to the imagination.

A looooooong time ago, where the dominant sound over the UC Irvine campus
was the drone of transport planes carrying those who could not dodge the
draft off the slaughter, the young and foolish faculty of the school of
social scientists (subsequent transformed into the best 1953 faculty of
the late 20th century!) considered a plan where each faculty member was
responsible for the ENTIRE eduation of the number of students specified
by state regulations. Clearly a move in that direction.

Long forgotten, never implemented in general, but it was in parts.

And we should not overlook work like that of Luis Moll who organizes for
teachers to spend afternoons in their local communites in the homes and
work placesw of their kids' parents and the parents are invited into the
classroom in respected roles.

Nice to have clear cut utopian goals to strive for. And I am not clear that they
wouldn't be subversive of modernism fully understood.

There are several master teachers in this discussion who should head for that
prize!
mike