Re: Zipf Zapf Zoom's educational policy

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 08:02:06 PDT

In a message dated 8/5/2001 6:56:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se writes:

> : I cannot see that having a large part
> (PROBABLY a majority in our specific case) of list subscribers who are
> members of some kind of public education faculty is enough to constitute a
> monolithic social order. For that there would have to be a lot more
> conformity than would be produced merely by the similarity of concerns
> arising from being involved in similar activities and being in similar
> positions in society.

To give two examples of the social conformity I am referring to I would like
to move beyond psychology and discuss philosophical matters.
Developmentally, adults have achieved a status of 'lifestyle' that fits their
unique personality. This lifestyle then feeds the person's personality in
compatible manner. In order to function within a chosen lifestyle values and
social conformities need to be followed. The person's personality that does
not conform to a chosen lifestyle will not function and subsequently not
succeed. Having succeeded in the chosen lifestyle of public education
faculty suggests a common acceptance of values and social mores. Now given
such a large group of public education faculty I grant you Eva that it is
hard to imagine us as being a monolithic social order. But just consider
this, we as an institution have more contact hours with our clients then any
other profession in the world. We're the ones who have succeeded to this
ppoint in our professions and we had to accept similar activity systems in
order to accomplish our goals. Having accomplished similar activity systems
gives us as a group the power of the shared experience. Don't believe in the
power of the shared experience? Consider the group of business associates
whooping it up after all making a killing in the stock market.

Something to think about,
Eric