Re: RE: From Greetings to skateboarding

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 17:55:35 PDT

--- Martin Owen <mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
> On internal univeristy issues one becomes a maverick and an unwelcome
> critic for exercising the skills that outside agencies pay very good money
> for.

I hear you. In my experience there has been some variability with this. Those
that respect the professional work of the faculty, much as outlined in the aaup
site that Don referenced, often value diversity of opinion and activity and
support the faculty's productive and innovative work. There are others who act
to control however, and those who promote alternative approaches may seem
maverick I suppose. It goes with out saying that it can be very difficult to
innovate in an environment full of rules that are composed by others who are
not situated in the work where the rules apply.

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]