Re: RE: active learning/teaching at the 7000 level

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 19:49:10 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu - Phillip Capper writes:

>Thankyou for clarifying your thinking. There are a number of points I
>would
>like to make. But first - to clarify misunderstandings you seem to have
>about me.

        and then, Phillip, you went on and stated four particular positions -
and i would like to say, profoundly, thank you, most graciously, thank you.

        i printed out what you wrote and stuck the paper up on the wall, just to
read at my leisure, because your words caught so cogently scattered
thoughts of my own, and placed in resolution personal conflicts i've
encountered in the thirty years of my classroom teaching.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white