RE: [ch-sig] RE: What to do?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 09:36:24 PDT

Hi Mike--

You raised a tough question that tears me apart because of my conflicting
roles. Let me describe this complexity:

As the CH SIG Program Officer, I'd like to encourage submitting as many good
proposals as possible so SIG has a very good pool of proposals to choose
from.

As a co-participant of the symposium, I'd like to maximize chances for the
proposal to be accepted.

As a SIG officer, I hate the conflict of interests caused me being a
gatekeeper for selecting proposals and co-author of the symposium. Even if
King considers the proposals where I'm a participant, the conflict of
interests is not fully eliminated.

As a SIG member, I'd like that themes like the symposium are supported by
the SIG.

As a SIG officer, I like that the symposium can fit both the Section C and
our SIG because if we can accept it, we can co-sponsor it and get may get an
additional slot.

As a SIG officer and a symposium participant, I can't overlook the fact that
the symposium does not fit clearly either of the listed themes.

Mike, did I address your question? :-) The bottom line is there are risks
and benefits of submitting this specific symposium proposal having me as a
participant to the ch sig and I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask for
advice in this specific case.

What do you think?

Take care,

Eugene