Fwd: Ilyenkov Readings in Moscow

From: Nate Schmolze (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 05:46:43 PDT

>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:21:08 +1000
>To: vygotsky@home.com
>From: Andy Blunden <andy@mira.net>
>Subject: Fwd: Ilyenkov Readings in Moscow

>>Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:11:07 +0300
>>To: Evert van der Zweerde <evdzweerde@phil.kun.nl>,=
>>From: vesa oittinen <voittine@mappi.helsinki.fi>
>>Subject: Ilyenkov Readings in Moscow
>>Cc: Evert van der Zweerde <evdzweerde@phil.kun.nl>,=
>> NIKOLAI VERESOV <nveresov@usa.net>,
>> Pertti Honkanen <perttih@nettilinja.fi>,
>> Yrj=F6 Engestr=F6m
>> <yrjo.engestrom@helsinki.fi>,
>> j_derry@hotmail.com, judithg@ifi.uio.no,=
>vesa.oittinen@helsinki.fi,
>> amaid@pisem.net, Hkwm@aol.com, andy@mira.net,
>> rotkirch@valt.helsinki.fi
>>
>>To all the participants of the Ilyenkov symposium in Helsinki 1999
>>

>>Dear Colleagues,
>>
>>I return again to the "Ilyenkovian" themes, as there has arisen a
>>possibility to continue the discussions at the Ilyenkov symposium in
>>Helsinki 1999. I have received a message from Professor Sergei Mareyev
>>(Mareev), who told me that next February there will be held in Moscow a
>>conference on the theme "E. V. Ilyenkov and the problem of the social
>>ideal" (E. V. Il'enkov i problema social'nogo ideala).
>>
>>The conference belongs to the "Ilyenkov Readings" (Il'enkovskie chteniya)
>>series, which the friends and supporters have been organizing since the
>>early 80's. This time the organisators are wishing to receive contributions
>>and speakers from abroad, too.
>>
>>Those interested in participating the "Chteniya" have to meet their travel
>>costs personally, but there is the possibility to get lodgings in an
>>universitarian rooming house.
>>
>>For more details, please contact Prof. S. N. Mareyev. His e-mail is
>>philosophia@mtu-net.ru and the home address (which may be more secure than
>>e-mail): ulica Domodedovskaya, d. 46, kv. 39, Moskva 115582. Prof.
>>Mareyev said me that he will be on the vacancies in July, but back to
>>Moscow in August.
>>

>>Best greetings
>>

>>Vesa Oittinen
>>
>>P. S. If you can't for some reason participate, you can always forward this
>>message to somebody else who might be interested.
>>
>>++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>>Vesa Oittinen
>>PD, Docent (Institute of Philosophy, Helsinki), Researcher of the Finnish
>>Academy
>>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>>HOME:
>>
>>Haahkakuja 1 B 28
>>FIN-00200 HELSINKI
>>
>>=C5dgr=E4nden 1 B 28
>>FIN-00200 HELSINGFORS
>>
>>Home tel. +358-(9)-621 56 75
>>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>>OFFICE:
>>
>>Aleksanteri-instituutti
>>PL 4 (Yliopistonkatu 5, 6. krs.)
>>FIN-00014 HELSINGIN YLIOPISTO
>>
>>Alexander-institutet
>>PB 4 (Universitetsgatan 5, 6. v=E5n.)
>>FIN-00014 HELSINGFORS UNIVERSITET

> [...]

George Bernard Shaw:
It is the deed that teaches, not the name we give it. Murder and capital punishment are not opposites that cancel one another, but similars that breed their kind

Nate Schmolze
http://members.home.net/schmolze1/
schmolze1@home.com

Albert Camus (1957):
An execution is not simply death. It is just as different from the privation of life as a concentration camp is from prison. It adds to death a rule, a public premeditation known to the future victim, an organization which is itself a source of moral sufferings more terrible than death. Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated can be compared. For there to be an equivalency, the death penalty would have
to punish a criminal who had warned his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a monster is not encountered in private life.