Re: levels

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 04:56:52 PDT

Hi, Ana,

From Halliday, I understand that the jump from indexical to symbolic occurs
in the development of the most basic building block of grammar (long before
sentences - written language - of course): the mood system [a sign for
subject! plus a means to predicate some act - the finite form of a verb],
which gives us choices among declaring, asking, and demanding. I left the
article at my office & need to reread it, but I THINK I remember Thibault
suggesting that this much is compatible with a theory of mind in utero.

have to dash
Judy

At 01:27 AM 7/6/01 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
>next paragraph (both on page 304), he says: "The child learns that he can
>use an externally uttered physical sound to enact a demand for
>goods-and-services. The child thus learns that he can use one vocal gesture
>in contrast with some other to regulate in various ways his exchanges with
>others according to his needs and desires. --> Thus, the SYMBOLIC use of
>externally projected articulatory act to bring about perceivable results in
>the external world is reentrantly mapped onto internal neural activity."
>
>A HUGE JUMP! Two jumps - indeed. One between the "indexical" (pointing to
>something contingent to the dialogue) and "symbolic" ( pointing to
>something outside this space and time).
>How does symbolic develop from indexical?
>Indexical function is "non valuative" - it is a "stand in" or "stand for"
>or just pointing to... Symbolic reference is already a part of a system ,
>always slanted, from a perspective, with a particular significance. One
>could say that a SYMBOL is an INDEX with a WINK - "if you know what I mean".
>
>Third jump - the claim that this interacts with the neural development and
>that it is "mapped onto internal neural activity".
>Yes but how do we know that these social diadic exchanges have any
>connection to the neural mappings? - THIS is the key!
>
>***
>I am in particular interested in the development between indexical and
>symbolic modes of communication. However the explanations given by
>Silverstein and Halliday and finally Thibault, all suggest to me that they
>are in between two paradigms: where they want to bring in the social
>communication into the development of symbolic mode of thinking, but they
>still analyze symbols and indexes and icons only regarding their
>relationship with an object or an abstract (and normative) category for
>which they stand. There is an attempt to bring a dialogic, diadic
>relationship into the process, but it remains just an outside force that
>brings to an individual meanings that are "objective and independent of
>individual intention per se." Thibault even continues: "This is why
>symbolic reference supervenes indexical (and iconic) reference. (from
>Deacon 1997/1998)".
>However, while it is true that general literal meanings in a language are
>bigger than an individual, it is not enough for me to say that an
>individual get apprenticed into the language. I, rather think that each
>individual has to reconstruct those meanings and that the process of
>reconstruction is both interpersonal and personal, and very dynamic. ...
>
>****
>
>I will be away for the next week but I will try to find a computer with an
>Internet connection and continue this most interesting discussion.
>
>Ana
>

>At 07:09 AM 7/5/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>Ana's reference to Bateson and play is a wonderful insight, having read
Mike's