History Books

From: Michael Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 09:34:26 PDT

Attached in RTF Format is a reques from Japanese colleagues to join a
petition
critical of a new Japanese textbook which downplays the Japanese role in
WWII.

I am forwarding it both for the merits of the case it makes (which you
will judge for
yourselves, I am sure) and because it is a reminder from a different
country of the
work that Jim Wertsch has been doing on collective memory in textbooks
in Russia
and the US, illustrating the generality of the point that Jim has been
making.

I am also experimenting with using a web browser attached to my local
unix
system to see if I can actually attach this file and get it to xmca, or
if it will be
rejected!
mike