Re: failure, resistance, development

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 18:08:59 PDT

Hi, Bill,

you quoted:
>"...personal development is in general best served through an interaction
of two stratetgies: exercising one's freedom to choose independently of
collective sentiment, and entering into mutual, reciprocal, and
participatory action with others to achieve commonly defined goals. These
two strategies are precisely Albert Hirschman's twin notion of 'exit' and
'voice'." (p. 229)

Is freedom to choose "independently of collective sentiment" an "exit"
strategy? And thus in contradiction with "voice"?

Claims about development make me immediately suspicious - paranoia NOT the
issue here.... CHAT has heads up on in-the-head psych. models, but bottom
line, we all end up judging others in terms of what we believe, out of our
own social histories, development SHOULD be. That strikes romantic me as
anti-developmental.

judy