Re: Ch 5

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 04:01:06 PDT

Hi Eric,

I'm familiar with the work, which interested me because the same 'systems
thinking' that can be applied to economic situations can be applied to
ecological ones, and I have more of an interest in the development of the
latter.

bb

--- MnFamilyMan@aol.com wrote:
> Bill, you wrote,
>

> > >Ok so -- the major weakness that a contender (known as "design
> > experiment"),
> > >to the developmental research laid out in chapter 5, displays is its
> > singular
> > >basis on cognitive theory, to the exclusion of other developments in the
> > social
> > >sciences. For example, the development of design experiment methodology,
> > >the best of my knowledge, ignores Bronfenbrenner's work on ecological
> > validity
> > >and reciprocality. Ironically the term "design science" purveys the facade
>
> > of
> > >science's success in shaping engineering practices, while ignoring science
> > >itself as an historical, accumulative, and diversified ensemble of
> > experimental
> > >and theoretical strategies, technologies, and conceptualizations. With
> > such a
> > >narrow foundation, for example, it is possible to delineate and articulate
> > >independent and dependent variables on learning outcomes. Consequently,
> > the
> > >focus is primarily on cognitive skills, and an approach thus defined never
> > >comes to fully challenge the culture of schooling, and instead propagates
> > the
> > >deep technocratic-meritocratic structures that energize it. Furthermore,
> > the
> > >methodology being blind to the ecology and economy of schooling, it is not
> > >possible for many teachers to participate in design experiments, and so
> > while
> > >wide-spread tinkering is not possible, perhaps it is only for those Ph.D.
> > >candidates who can muster the resources and overcome the two major
> > constraints
> > >imposed by U.S. society, i.e. money and time.
> >

> In the past on XMCA, I have referenced a book edited by Kindermann and
> Valsiner entitled, Development of Person-Context Relations. Although the
> articles and methodologies presented by the authors in this collection would
> not directly help daily practitioners secure grant monies or research
> projects it is a fantastic guide for those of us who are interested in
> maintaining methodologies that do document data while still practicing
> successful service delivery. Interestingly enough two of the topics
> discussed are how children understand economic principles and the use of time
>
> as a quantitative measure.
>
> Best regards,
> eric

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]