Ch 5, owen, judy

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 11:24:56 PDT

--- Martin Owen <mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
> technique by teachers, but moreover, it is a technique preferred by
> college (or all) administrators too.

Amen to that. I interpret B&M to make the claim that admins have been
"programmed" this way -- hierarchical accountability, among other things,
evokes people's control mechanisms. "Closing down" is apt. "Ossification" is
also. There is a very interesting contradiction in which a flurry of
rule-making is considered productive.

Owen, it would be good to learn more of your thesis. Post the abstract?

Judy, no problem -- the reason you gave had occured to me. Just glad things
are working again. I am starting to think of the developmental research as a
form of inquiry -- in which the sequencing of processes is rather complex --
given that it is a joint effort among participants and open to outside
influence, it is not clear how to characterize dynamics any better than yrjo
has already done. But of course the attempt must be made anyway.

bb

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]