Re: Chicago schools

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 02:30:03 PDT

helena writes:
>Dear xmca people:
>
>Yes, Paul Vallas, Superintendent of Chicago school, quit. So did the head
>of
>the Board of Education, Chico. But it wasn't just because the test
>scores were
>drooping. It was because there was organized resistance to the
>implementation
>of the education plan of which the test scores were the publicity vehicle.
>Another activity system expanding, you might say.

Correspondents esleshere may (or may not) like to know that in England and
Wales there are league tables of the whole of the country's schools based
on test scores at 7, 11, 14 and 16. There is also a layer of assessment at
5 now. The only difference a change of government in 1997 made was to
include an element of "added-value" over and above the previous score.

Above and beyond this there are also league tables of university
performance in teaching, research and grant capture, although some of
these are composite tables calculated by newspapers.

There is some good news in this. Schools that spend more on students do
better than schools that don't! However British children are undoubtedly
the most examined in the world, and this year we have introduced yet
another one!

for some further information try this URL and search for Schools on dec
7th 2000.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/

Martin