Re: 1987

From: Katherine Brown (kathyebrown@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 18:04:10 PDT

In 1987, I was an undergraduate in Communication at UC San Diego, maybe a junior
in college...I was experiencing college as something of a long shot--I had come
from an inner city high school and was one of two children of a young widow who
was struggling to keep her family together. My mother was an employee of UCSD
medical center,
a medical transcriptionist who was working her way up in the organization from
having taken home dictation tapes as piece work to actually working in the
records department and getting on the bottom rung of the middle management
track.. I also worked, and had a combination of financial aid and student
loans. UCSD was the only college I applied to--it was local and my mother
worked for the "company" so to speak. When I was a girl, we drove up to the
campus on the weekends and walked around and my mom said that I was a smart
person and that people would pay me to go to school if I did well--I could go
to school here one day. When I made it to UCSD, I did not find many other
students I could relate to--they all seemed to take being in college for granted
and did what seemed to me to be outrageous and daring things--with video, art,
taking classes that could not possibly be safe and lead to jobs...I declared a
Communication major because there was a lot of reading and it seemed to take me
everywhere--it was a true liberal arts and humanities feast. It was a long
time, though, before I felt like I was doing anything but escaping from my
background with all of those delicious books.
I managed to take a few courses with faculty members who were in one way or
another interested in work--images of work, labor history, changes in technology
in work places, and I was hooked. This semed a way to connect being in college
with where I had come from--a family where working and not working, labor
conditions, gender, and valued and non-valued skills, events and non-events
that mark development were topics of daily conversation. The approach I was
exposed to in this unusual Communication department was about transformations in
workplaces and looking at adult development through the lens of experiences that
showed the connection between the workplace and the lifeworld.
Yrjo Engestrom joined the faculty very shortly after,(in my memories of this
time) and I took a course with him that provided an introduction to
developmental work research. I read his and Ritva's piece on studying the work
of cleaning people and I knew that I would love to be a researcher of this kind.
I did a little work with Yrjo and he led me to Mike Cole and exposed me to
LCHC's projects, right around the time of Glasnost, and to the group of amazing
people that have been in and around the lab developing CHAT in all of its
avatars, and I have been in that orbit ever since, doing this and that. My
Ph.d thesis on the collision between communities of practice using
manual/film-based/analog photography practices and the advent of digital imaging
in the arts was nurtured in that unique place, by those good people. I have not
explanation for the phenomenon that happened to me the first time I read
Learning by Expanding. It simply made clear sense to me, it had a lot of
explanatory power and potential as a tool. I have never run out of questions
about the ideas proposed in the book but it made quite an impression on me and I
never out grew it in the way that I found myself falling in and out of love with
various fashionable or trendy theories. It had a lot of deep resonance or
sticking power. Does anyone know what I mean?
Katherine Brown.