Re: translation problems

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 11:10:37 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>A while back Jay asked about translation issues and there has been some
>side conversation involving Eugene around the term, "obuchenie" which
>is not consistently translated in *Mind in Society*. Back even before the
>beginning of the world (1987! :-) ) I came across the following statement
>concerning the term which helped me a lot. It is the source of our coming
>to use the term teaching/learning in the Construction Zone and later
>work.

it's curious, of course, that we might lend so much validity to
non-english languages,
and theire meanings,

when english remains the most elusive language, re translation, a language
of infinite excpetions - and what does "learning" or "teaching" mean to
english speakers, when prodded?
much more, really, - it's aprivielge perhaps of the "exotic" that lends
validity to a practice?

english "learning" is no doubt easiyl coneptualised as soviet "leanring"
ort Argentian "learning" or Camaroonian "learning" - what 's being
privileged here
is a romance, perhaps? with russian history? perhaps?

diane, perhaps?

"If you'll excuse me now, I'd like to be alone with my sandwich."
Homer