Re: ooops

From: Phil Graham (phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:27:33 PDT

At 09:02 AM 5/06/2001 -0700, Mike wrote:
>I have been wondering the extent to which one's experience/views of this
>matter depend on the institutional framework from which one works. Education
>and psychology, for example, may well differ in this regard.

I'm in a management department, not that that really determines what I do
in terms of research. The qualitative approach is regarded in the main with
suspicion ("hairy-chested quants" was a description of the general ethos by
a colleague). However, and I note that this seems to be the case throughout
social science, there is an increasing emphasis on the need for analysis of
language, or more generally, meaning-making, even in management. The
problem is that where hard-line quants have turned their attention to
meaning making, their history of practices makes for some fairly
questionable approaches to the problem (to over-generalise).

Interestingly, the bulk of my faculty are psychologists.

In 1987, I was trying to figure out music and sound, stuck in studios for
hours and hours listening to what sounds and ears and machinery "do" to
each other. Psychoacoustically designed effects were proliferating which
made for some interesting experiments. Grace Jones's _Slave to the Rhythm_
, produced by Trevor Horn, remains my seminal text for learning how to make
more than four dimensions out of less than three. For me, it was a
transformational soundtrack for that era of my liff.

Regards,
Phil