Research I/Land Grant

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 09:09:23 PDT

Thanks for the explication of the Georgia situation, Peter. I was reading
notes out of order, a third sin in two days.

UC is landgrant/Research i with a "threefold mission" of research, teaching,
and public service. Promotion rarely is settled within a department and
departmental decisions are routinely overturned by ad hoc committees dominated
by people from outside the division involved, in my case, social sciences.
In about 26 years of teaching in the UC I have never heard of a case of a
person being given tenure for outstanding teaching and/or public service
and as I indicated in my earlier notes, the bias on the research side is
strongly quantitative/experimental. Moreover, teaching loads are unevenly
distributed with humanities at the bottom of the ladder, and social sciences
striving for "equity".
mike