Re: Help needed: Usefulness of school knowledge for real life writing and science

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 08:58:17 PDT

ematusov@udel.edu writes:
>I'm working on an article about "transfer" and I need your help. I'm
>exploring a common assumption that knowledge learned in school is useful
>in
>everyday life. I found a body of research of testing use of school math in
>everyday life (by Lave, Nunes, and others). Do you know any similar
>research
>in writing and science?

seems i have too much time on my hands eh?

recently my nephew (12 yrs)
started applying geometry to everyday life,
in terms of analysis, understanding his own artistic drawings
and also in terms of international flags (e.g., Brazil) -

i've noticed an increased understanding of how "fractions" describe partial
content, in terms of quantity,

and estimations, in terms of money, costs, earnings, savings,
values of consumable,
as well as food containers - a sudden use of concepts of "two-thirds" full
and so on,

which is not scientific research,
but i'm rather surprised by the ways the math lessons of this past year
have found a place in his vocabulary.
it is more of a language activity - i reckon linguistics is an area where
this ought to be - but i've no references to offer, beyond Geoffrey Sax's
Brazilian kids and candy selling.

diane

"If you'll excuse me now, I'd like to be alone with my sandwich."
Homer