1987

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 20:15:47 PDT

I am curious about people's association with the year, 1987. What were
various of xmca's members doing in 1987? What theories were they using
to guide research? What research were they doing?

Brief summaries would be really helpful to discusion of a book written, I
presume, between 1985-1987.

for myself, I can contribute the following.

In 1986-1987 I was on sabbatical leave at the Chid Dev unit of the Britisyh
Research Council in England. Cultural psychology, or sociocultural psychology,
or Vygotsky, or anything connected with such ideas was incomprehensible
to almost all the people I talked to.

I was dividing my time between trying to write a book that, 9 years later,
was published as *Cultural psychology........*, not a title of my choosing,
but the best that could be arranged on the spot, with 60 seconds to make up
my mind about how to change the title I had selected.

And, 18 hour a day efforts to establish "normal" working relationships with
colleagues in the Soviet Academy of sciences using the, then, exotic medium,
of email.

I also spent a couple of months working on my book./lectures in copenhagen
which a few faithful friends heard through from beginning to end.

It would take me 10 years to finish the book which became *Cultural Psychology....
......." in 1996.

In the spring of 1987 Yrjo completed his doctoral thesis which is the ms
we have been reading, LBE.

Those of us left alive at now 14 years older. We interpret the text written
then through our respective personalities and experience.

What are they? Having some idea whould help me understand the discusion.
mike