Vygotsky's Crisis in Psychology

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 20:43:32 PDT

To all who are still available,

The end of a semester has probably taken many members from viewing range, or
reading and grading has taken over as chosen activities. In any case I have
decided that now is as good a time as any to reintroduce the reason I joined
XMCA in the first place: Vygotsky and his crisis in psychology. I was first
introduced to this paper via Andy Blunden's philosophy website, I am sure it
is still available. What Vygotsky proposes is not to argue for one
particular measure versus another. Instead, LSV is absolutely convinced that
unless Psychologists view behaviors as developmental in nature they will not
be practicing science but a pseudoscience that is theoretically grounded in
philosophy. The main reason LSV is opposed to philosophically based
psychology as opposed to scientific psychology is that philosophically based
psychology is an adult construct that imposes presupposed 'schemas' onto
children and assume levels are steppingstones for guaranteed success. From
Vygotsky's thesis I then maintain that Engstrom's LBE is merely a
philosophically based overexplanation of the very last level of a human's
development. Some people fall into the category of benefiting from the LBE
paradigm and some people do not! Not all people were born to run the 4
minute mile and not all people were born to be members of a communal society,
in my opinion LBE is an explanation of communal living.

Respectfully,
Eric