examples of translation problems

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 11:19:29 PDT

Sorry to have been so much absent lately. Creating a new PhD program does
not leave as much time for online dialogue, though I have been following
some of the discussions of LBE.

I'm writing something at the moment in which I'd like to use some examples
of how concepts originally formulated in one language tend to resist facile
translation into another.

I know there have been many discussion on xmca and xlchc over the years of
cases where the original Russian terms were mistranslated, or translated in
ways that led to misunderstandings, in English.

I wonder if any of you could point me to those earlier messages, or just
drop me a note with a few examples?

JAY.

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION