RE: Dewey meets Vygotsky

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 10:41:05 PDT

Yes, this is a wonderful paper. Prawat by the way had an earlier paper on
Vygotsky and Dewey - in Mind, Culture and Activity, in 2000, I think. As to
this paper in American Educational Journal, I thought that its even more
important contribution (in addition to comments on the sources of Vygotskian
resolution of private/public dilemma) was that of re-constructing the
cultural-historical context of Vygotsky's works. Specifically, that
Lunacharskij and Krupskaja (widow of Vladimir Lenin) played the most
significant role in promoting Vygotsky to one of the leading positions in
Moscow. The scope of Prawat's knowledge and insight into the internal and
often tacit dynamics of the political and education scenes in Russia of that
time is simply amazing.

Anna Stetsenko