Re: Re(2): God tricks and the 1universal truth

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 17:11:28 PDT

In a message dated 5/12/2001 9:56:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu writes:

> there is a "now"
> that exists universally, as you noted, but it's immeasurable, of course,
> ceaselessly fleeting and all.

This of course leads me to the question of how long does a given moment last?
 The moment I take to contemplate the sunset is certainly longer then my
wifes, she's the first to say, 'let's go times a wasting." So in my moment
of pondering I am interrupted and reminded that the sun is setting on another
day. I look at my watch and see that it is indeed time to get the kids so
they can be in bed in time for a healthy nights sleep becasue if they get
less then eight hours of sleep they are quite ornery in the morning.
Regardless of whether I want to ponder the setting sun longer then my wife
makes no difference as to whether time has passed. I don't care if you want
to call it something else but the revolution of the earth and its orbit
asbout the sun create time. Americans certainly have fractured their use of
time to the point of making it passe to some that time does not exist but
just becasue you don't agree with scheduling every moment of your existence
does not mean you can remove yourself from moving forward in time. Memories
change over time. What was once thought to be a delicious food may taste
totally different if we haven't eaten it in awhile. Memories of people's
faces don't match up with their current status in the present and effects of
gravity and friction add up to wear and tear on our machinery and tools.
Time can be measured by dust build-up, by the heighth of grass by the weight
of an animal by the decay of mold and so on and so on. The use of a well
taken care of instrument adds depth and charecter to sound and the practice
of a trade improves a person's abillitites over time. Anyway you choose to
slice it, time moves forward and we all are its captures. Remove yourself
from the flow of time and some people say your pushing up daisies.

Enjoying the sun setting over the horse pasture,
Eric