Re: LBE and 'community' category

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 23:17:13 PDT

Don,

I think the genesis that YE describes in an earlier chapter is the important
direction to look when trying to describe what "community" might be within a
fully developed CHAT model. There he uses an evolutionary perspective and
talks about the transition out of "the general structure of the animal form
of activity" with its two sides/elements of "social life" and "collective
survival": the base vertices of the triangle (rules/norms and division of
labor) emerge with the introduction of the tool in the process of the third
side/element: individual suvival. The consequence of this long, long
process of evolution (4 million years?) is the emergenge of division of
labor/community/rules -- In Figure 2.5 the "population/community" is still
represented at the point where "community" appears in the standard triangle
representation.

I don't know how familiar you are with the sociological literature extending
back at least to Tonnies in the 19th century who introduced the concepts of
"Gemeinschafft" and "Gessellschafft" which ordinarily were translated as
community and association or Marx's use of 'gattungwesen' to discuss the
primal communal collectivity. Community has long been distinguished in the
sociological literature as describing human interactions in which hierarchy
is subordinated more the "being together" than the "surviving together"
which in societies with division of labor usually implies hiearchies of one
kind or another. Hierarchy and division of labor in which roles tend to
replace direct, ongoing, creatively established in each moment relations.
The realm of actions and operations. In fact it's usually a blend of the
more impersonal "gesellschafft" with the "face-to-face" that we seem to
encounter although both poles also exist purely.

As to the difference between those collectivities in which there is no
direct relationship between the individuals that make up the collectivity;
e.g., the people waiting in their cars at a stop light, caught in a traffic
jam on the freeway, standing in a line at the check out stand at the super
market, etc. I've always found Sartre's discussion of seriality and its
transition to group (Critique of Dialectical Reason; Hazel Barnes book gives
an excellent overview) most useful. There Sartre explores how such groups
as are defined by seriality -- given a position not through a direct
relationship to others in the collectivity -- can become transformed into
groups precisely when contradictions reach a point at which each isolated
individual in the serial collectivity realizes that he or she does in fact,
on the basis of a common situation, constitute a group with a common
situattion and object; i.e., the formation of a group subject. Sartre's
examples and explorations of these processes are quite fascinating. I think
they could be presented within the framework of expansion since the
transition from serial groups to groups-for-themselves certainly fits within
YE's description of expansion, especially in the paper on the
"Borderliners". More simply one could consider how groups often emerge out
of serial collectivities when any kind of crisis affects them in such a way
as to bring forth the recognition of a common identity, through the
identification of a common object that defines their individual and
collective situations at the same time, and defines their time as collective
well; e.g., when any natural disaster strikes. Not unsurprisingly, it is
in these contexts that HEROES make their presence felt and later these
HEROES serve to embody the community ideals, etc. - a community which might
not even have existed as such before the crisis that led to its formation
out of a serial collectivity.

Just some thoughts.

Paul H. Dillon