chapter four and cultural histories

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 09:11:13 PDT

- interesting to note the difficulties and discomforts from American
readers of chapter four -
questions about "who" is the authority citation for making statements, and
so on.

as we've discussed before,
cultures privilege different authorities, so that Australian scholars
refer to authorities that might not be recognized in the USA,
just as with England, Irish, Welsh, Swedish, Norwegian, German, Italian,
and so on and so on.

the assumption of a universal authority in matters of cultural authority is
kind of contradictory, isn't it?

diane

"If you'll excuse me now, I'd like to be alone with my sandwich."
Homer