culture as independent and immeasurable

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 17:28:16 PDT

Hi Eric,

I gotta tell you I have NO training in the social sciences, except one undergraduate course in cognitive science, which apparently has nothing to do with culture, so I really meant the point about your appreciation of the matter being greater. You see my training was in physics, and in physics we measure everything that is measurable. From that perspective, I'd say give up on the 'measuring culture' nonsense -- all that is there is what the hard sciences calls 'soft variables'. The Heisenberg uncertainty principal clearly shows for all elementary particles, and the Building-Up Principal extends the results to everything else in the universe, thereby proving it to be true that it is not physically logical to measure anything else. I have the classic 1935 paper by Einstein Podolsky and Rosen that lays the fundamentals, as well as those by Neils Bohr and others. Give me your address and I'll mail them to you.

I'd love to have a deeper discussion of this matter, but I really do not think it would be worthwhile to pursue it publicly on this list, because it just would not be appreciated. I really mean that -- do you get it??? Please contact me directly so that we can discuss the logical proofs I have in mind.

And about syllogisms, did you know I have a bunny?

Cheers!
bb