Re: culture as independent and external?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 21:44:48 PDT

In a message dated 5/5/2001 5:55:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
wbarowy@lesley.edu writes:

> Perhaps you have more appreciation for the matter than I do?

Bill,

You obviously appreciate culture and you obviously appreciate the social
sciences. Where is the definite distinction between academic discourse and
Bill the functioning human being? If my life is an example I guarantee you
that your professional life is indeed separate from your private life.
However, my life is certainly not an example to be used for others, only for
myself. Understanding this (the separation of my life from being used as
an example) is a good place to understand the appreciation I have for culture
being a separate entity beyond human development.

Getting personal,
eric