Blanton, Cole, Owen, design experiments

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@mail.lesley.edu)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 12:15:10 PDT

I expect to be meeting with Allan C. in June to extend the conversation on
design experiments (DE), and there are important elements of LBE that I
think can contribute to the conversation. I hope we can continue here to
relate DE to LBE, as I think that in doing so, we can encounter better the
consequences of seeing and not seeing, respectively, culture as an
environmental variable. Explicating the train analogy using multiple
timescales, i.e. phylo/meso/onto/microgenesis affords insights into how
individual and societal development are multiply and complexly connected,
and this in turn is a more appropriate way to think of interaction with and
in culture, than interaction in which culture is (primarily) an external,
independent variable.

The quote comes from somethin Allan has written, but I'm not sure that it
is published yet. We did not actually 'grill' him at aera, but rather
objected to the framework in which DE was presented. This did evoke a bit
of defensiveness.

More later.

bb