Fwd: OCA: Strohman on genetics and the paradigm shift in biology

From: Jay Lemke (jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 20:12:30 PDT

I am forwarding the following message, essentially an extract from an
article by a leading biologist, that takes up where the widely noticed Op
Ed piece by Stephen J. Gould on the real surprise in the decoding of the
human genome left off.

I am sending it despite the fact that it somewhat technical and rather
conceptually dense because I think it's the sort of intellectual position
that all of us should be aware of and take seriously. In brief, it is an
argument against genetic reductionism and for a sort of complex systems
theory / emergentist view.

I think it is important not just because of all the present and prospective
abuses of the genetic determinist argument, and not just because it's a
great example of how politics, economics, and ideology do indeed shape
dominant views in science, but because the same sort of reductionist
argumentation runs fractally rampant up and down the scales of
developmental, evolutionary, and sociocultural theory (probably history,
too). And probably because of the same ideological biases. I think every
single theoretical analysis in the human sciences needs to be reflectively
reconsidered as a possible instance of the same sort of mistaken
assumptions that led us into genetic determinism, and possible alternatives
considered along the lines (as described below) that may be leading us out
of that dead end in biological theory.

I am not proposing this for current discussion on xmca. There's quite
enough going on right now as it is. Just take ten minutes and read this.

JAY.