relevance to LBE

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 10:18:22 PDT

re-direction is certainly what judy attempted, in drawing our attention
towards
the nature-authority digression; and in terms of what the relation might
be between CHAT and LBE,
in terms of understanding differences and marginalia -

it seems to me there is an implicit pedagogical character to LBE that is
lacking in the discussion -

the question towards ethics, was, i *thought*, a gesture of a pedagogical
quality,

and since pedagogy is an interaction of learning, the reference to
'expansion' is not abstract
but embedded, perhaps: in the same way, an ethic of participation is
embedded in LBE
as we explore the ideas, i mean, there is an assumption of pedagogy, isn't
there?

and because cultural-historical activity theory is an irretrievable
assumption of difference,
surely an ethic and a pedagogy are embedded - there -

so i'm at a bit of a loss to understand how the question of an ethic in
CHAT lacks
relevance to LBE -
but, as i seem to be the only participant here who makes no claims to
certainty, and is more invested in learning towards what i don't
understand,
perhaps i've misunderstood the purpose of this discussion, ...?????

where is the "expansion" taking place HERE?
where is the interest in difference, as implied in cultural-historical
activity?
or is the assumption that LBE is explicitly universal and so exempt from
any critical analysis or questioning?
i really feel as though i am being dismissed by questioning, when perhaps
the proper habit of discourse here is to copy and paste-a-lecture?
statements prohibit learning : questions that are awkward or difficult to
consider prompt learning, ... the realms of confusion are the sites of
exploration -

but i see these repeatedly shut down, ----- how are we understanding
"learning" here if not in our practice, that is, is the assumption here
that all who participate are wholly uncritical of LBE? and if asking
questions about it is not a route towards expansion, then the thinking
here surely isn't expanding, but merely re-instating itself within its
realms of already-known certainties. the idea is not to affirm authority,
but to question it, surely.

it seems to me that the themes of pedagogy, ethics, and cultural
historical (difference) activity are especially pertinent to learning by
expansion, but i keep seeing these shut down with dismissal and
statements. i'm having a hard time understanding how LBE is being explored
or learned here.

di

"my doctor says i wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if i would just keep my
finger out of there. "
Ralph Wiggums.