Re: . rRe: reflection (on ending duels - still belabouring)

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 07:57:48 PDT

The sig- quote in Nate's message is gterrific.)

Paul, as the author of your messages (the authorial you -- I'm conceding
Eva's point), you have certainly been consistent. Is consistency the way to
LBE? The (belaboured) exchange that I responded to by stomping my foot was
very much about both comprehension and interpretation: ESPECIALLY
comprehension of *the other's argument* and INTERPRETATION of Marx. For you
to treat your interpretation of Marx as a matter of (irrefutable) fact is
to invite the ire of those who wish to engage in a dialog -- that is, an
exchange of views. AS Bakhtin makes clear, meaning is never IN the words
themselves but in the exchange between "voices" -- i.e., voiced utterances,
language used by someone in response to what was said before and in
anticipation of a response .... Hence, the refusal to engage in an other's
sensemaking is a kind of bullying. Phil was not engaging in dialog, but you
are the one I'm addressing, because you so regularly perform as the judge
of what other people say.

Judy