Re: history and the white man

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 22:07:28 PDT

nate writes
>I do however think it needs a certain degree of
>flexability - a rigid view does not seem very useful
>in the field. However; I agree with Paul that
>situating the motive or contradiction in the
>individual or group is problematic, mainly because
>not all contradictions are equal.
>
>Let's say I'm a white male who just got layed off -
>I may think my contradiction of not finding another
>job has to with women or minorities, but it is most
>likely something entirely different.

this is a brilliant example, really. i mean, this list is, really, a "how
to understand the white male academic" list, ha ha!!
buuuut, seriously, and significantly, isn't "what you might think" what
matters in understanding how the larger political sphere participates in
the individual's perceptions?
the contradiction might be judged, theoretically, but materially, the
position is rationalized.
(white men are persecuted, being the rationalization towards changes in
labor demographics) -
what individuals believe is a reflection of the larger political sphere:
surely we don't invent ignorance by ourselves.
contradictions are enabled by massive systems of information, and in the
end, perhaps? we choose the positions that justify us to ourselves?

flexibility is an ideal - but there's a difference between imposing a
theoretical ideal, and recognizing the material contradictions?
diane?
doesn't really know?
much?
here?