Re: late lbe2 (what is an elemntary activity system)

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 06:15:57 PDT

Hello --

I'm slowing reading along in LBE, happy to be reading it, happy that I think I
understand and recognize what's going on.

Paul, elaborating on Bill, has expressed my primary question about activity
theory. While I don't expect an answer I would like to flag this concern at
this point and see how it develops over the next few weeks. Here it is:

"while I totally agree with you that the model is powerful and that insights
do acrue from almost any application/interpretation, I am concerned about
the comparability...."

When is this model (AT) more than a method? I can see how it is valuable as a
kind of checklist for what we have to think about when confronted with a
complex situation that needs to be examined. I'm getting to be in the habit of
using it for that myself -- as I read through comments on a law, for example
(most recently, a law that is supposed to put disabled people into the
workforce -- The Ticket to Work Work Incentives Improvement Act, or TWWIIA) and
find interest groups noting conflicts of interest among people who are affected
by this law. So I'm happy with this model as a method of laying out an
"ethnography of troubles" (great term!!!) and keeping them arranged on the
mental tabletop, as it were, and then thinking about how to engage various
other methods in analyzing them.

But I'd like to hear more discussion of the "explanatory need" -- that's
another good one -- and above all, the elements around the AT triangle and what
constitutes a contradition.

Thanks, all -- Helena Worthen