pilots projects and encapsulation

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 09:30:26 PDT

Martin--

I think the insulation of research from practical applications even in
cases where practice is the goal goes well beyond pilot projects for
"good institutional reasons." I conducted one many year project with
soviet colleagues in the latter half of the 1980's/early 1990's that
was totally encapsulated from its enviromment-- hermetically sealed off
to prevent change. And when change came at the macro level, no memory
of the project remained.

Some very general principles at work here. When we finish chapter 3 maybe
and the rest of LBE perhaps a topic for discussion.
mike