difference in relation to lbe2

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 21:51:08 PDT

Difference -

HA!
i spent a chapter once writing about difference and differance,
and at the same time realized that probably no one really wants to know
the difference. this is not a criticism but a recognition of the
philosophical limitations of academia - not a bad thing, but a realistic
thing.
please don't perceive my experience with resistance as a judgment: it's an
observation. PEACE babies. PEACE.

difference is, to my work, transgression. digression.
and speaking of digression, here's one:

objective, by lexiconological tracings, refers to ob-(GR>forward +
        jeter>to throw)

objective - to throw forward, out of the self;
subjective - to throw inward, into the self -

transjective - the throw across -
interjective - the throw between

valid possibilities, there, in terms of alternate semantics, and voila!
difference. i say transjective
and it has no history, no meaning, so no value. understandably the
limitation, eh?

difference is, invariably, the intolerable - intolerable, because it
"seems" impossible, and it "seems" impossible because it differs.
transgressions differ.
i've written a bazillion words on what transgressions mean, outside - or
beyond, perhaps - what Foucault has written, or what people like Woolf,
Stein, Shelley, ever did as write/artist/intellectuals -

and i feel exhausted of those words, because i also understand the
"voyeur" who wants to watch 'em squirm, not unkindly, but just part of the
individual/institutional activity that dominates academic-"masculine"
activity - which is not to confuse folks like bill, or phil, or mike, or
phillip, with "masculine' activity,
but is to also recognize my sheer weariness with 'argument' - ;)

transgressions pursue the limits of any idea, discourse, activity,
history, knowledge, theory, practice, etc. and then, sees beyond - it is
transgressive because it exceeds, and by exceeding, invents. and by
inventing, threatens the history of its journey -

it is essential that institutional relations refuse transgressions,
thus those who transgress are refused by history!
eh?
wot?

o, we judge. too much. too often. defend, protect, rationalize, evaluate,
analyse, and so on. these are institutionally-sanctioned relations with
texts-history-activity...
but transgressions require different kinds of research and understanding,
and so, require a different relation with texts-history-activity...
so ----- again, can difference actually thrive in institutional-indivudal
relations, when one is designed to dominate the other?

diane,
avoiding specifics,

"Gotta Catch 'em all!!"
Pokemon