academica and life

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 17:38:17 PDT

Eric--

I am responding out of the order of reading messages because I am so
far behind.

I have just returned from SRCD. While the encapsulated, self-congratulatory
tendencies of academia you point to were evident there, so were a multituded
of papers where people where doing BOTH theoretical work AND applying
their ideas in practice in the ways that you indicate you approve of.

I was particularly impressed by a paper which linked the changing political
economy of Minnesotta farming with its union busting, agglomerating food
generating companies to the disasterous consequences for child devevelopment
and the exploitation of immigrant labor. But there were many examples of
people who are combining theory and practice.

How about highlighting positive models where we can find them and working
on ways to support those who put their time on the line in real life as
well as in academia instead of hitting on those we deem miscreants?
mike