Re: Subjective/objective/action as a primary destinction

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 10:34:39 PDT

In a message dated 4/22/2001 3:55:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
illonph@pacbell.net writes:

> That is something Hegel and Marx did long, long ago.

Exactly my point. However, the dialectic in social sciences is now between
the people who use language as their only tool so that they can become
published and the practitioners who attempt to put these theoretical
constructs into use for education, therapy, or improving individual's lives.
Memebers of acedemia have become such elitists in their thinking they refuse
to accept the opinions of anyone outside of their small circle. For an
example look no further then the debate that was created when I was
questioned on my use of the word subjective. During Stalin's reign of terror
in the Societ Union a cult of personality was established within the social
sciences that is not much different then is happening today in the different
branches of psychological study. There is the Rad PsychNetwork the xmca the
behaviorists the constructivists and so on and so on. Just because Hegel and
Marx pointed out the dialectic does not mean things have changed. In my view
they have gotten worse. My brother had to leave a job at a Midwestern
University becasue he refused to accept the philosophy of one of the deans,
that's not right. Those of you who are within the establishment of academia
I am sure are not happy with what I am writing but can you tell me I am
wrong? If the social sciences are to be taken seriously they must stop this
territorial battle that refuses to accept a viewpoint other then the one held
by your co-author or co-chair.
Michael Cole wrote in response to this same issue of territorial battles:

Eric-- In a meeting bringing together various folks from various parts of
UCSD which are charged with providing broadened access with people from
community colleges, I said that if one wanted to create a system that
prevented transfer from community colleges to our university, the very
expensive system which has been set up, and which pays their salaries,
would be a prime candidate for insuring that broadened access never
happened.

Yes, Paul, Marx and Hegel were brilliant in explaining human nature now lets
try to figure out how to apply these theoretical constructs as a unified
scientific discipline.

What do you think?
Eric