Re(4): agency and subject

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 18:47:57 PDT

phillip white dares to admit
>i'm totally ignorant of this author except by name - what's the
>citation - if any - that you're thinking of and i'll check it out - i'm
>totally perplexed by what constitutes identity just now these days.

you and me both, sister!
i've given up on the idea of an "identity" actually and think more in
terms of "identification" to signify the movement and relations that
participate with the 'self' notions: i think the problem is partly twisted
in a
culturally-specific desire to hang onto the "individual" as an entity,
but still recognize the social as irretrievable from the 'subject' -
likely, there is no 'identity' per se,
but moments of identification, when we 'identify' with
someone/thing/activity/memory/emotion,
and slip through it into some other-self, kind of self.

know what i mean?
diane

"The world is too much with us,
late and soon..."