Re(2): which level?

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 06:19:02 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
        kathie writes:

>i have had the experience of being the adult in this kind of interaction
>and finding myself so easily assuming that the kids are working with me as
>peers---
>until---
>someone shoves someone or insults someone or prevents someone from
>speaking or participating (or, or - you get the idea)
>then i speak in that teacher voice, that adult voice,
>and all the social relations re-orient to the structure of the power
>hierarchy
>like filings when an elecromagnet is turned on.
>do iron filings become habituated to magnetism?
>do iron filings act?

        like the flower that turns to the sun?

        still - perhaps a bit too cause and effect - deterministic - yet i
know from experience what you mean - i guess it is that even though the
heads turn, as it were, the message of the teacher voice is heard through
multiple scrims of emotions, past experiences, relationships, etc. etc. -
 i don't like these mechanical metaphors of mine - but, it is not about
input in, input out - and more than just tools and goals are mediating
the interactions - beliefs and emotions and values and relationships are
there too - perhaps this is what Yrgo means by community?

>so, it might be easier to observe this in one's own children because of
>the time scale . . .

        well, i'm usually a wreck in my observations with my son and me -
hmmmmmm.

phillip
* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white