Re: co-genetic logic

From: sbaumer@weber.ucsd.edu
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 00:51:07 PDT

Eric,
I don't know the book Mike mentioned, but you can also
find Herbst's paper in T. E. Kindermann & J. Valsiner
(EDs) "Development of Persona-Context Relations", LEA:
Hillsdale:NJ, from 1995. There is also a paper from
Markovna (I am not sure about the name), that is
probably even more interesting, but I did not find.
Herbst's Co-Genetic logic is grounded in Spenser-Brown
algebra, see his "Laws of Form". I find both Herbst's
and Spenser-Brown's very difficult texts.
I suggest you to start with Robertson, R (1999): "Some-
thing from No-thing: G. Spenser-Brown's Laws of Form",
Cybernetics & Human Knowing, Vol. 6, No.4., pp, 43-55.

Co-genetic logic is an incredibly interesting theory,
yet it is always a great challenge to "appropriate"
mathematical logical model within social sciences.

Sonja

> I believe Herbst has an article in a Valsiner and
Lindemann book on
> development in context but I have not studied it.
The idea of co-construction
> is around in a lot of places. Perhaps others on the
list have encountered