Re: changing AMerican reading habits

From: Angel Lin (ENANGEL@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 21:54:51 PDT

Dear Mike and everybody,

I do think that we must not let the Cold War mentality re-emerge again in
our postmodern, diversified and globalized times. As the U.S. gradually
steps into the recession-side of the capitalist economic cycles, it's
likely for the right-wing government to re-invent a common
outside/exotic/demonized enemy (e.g., China) for its nationals, to divert
attention of its citizens from more important issues of environmental
protection (and I saw in the news that the Bush government is very
environmentally UNfriendly), helping the marginalized, and fostering
international collaboration rather than mounting up a military defense/arms
competition. I'm really worried looking at how things are happening in the
Sino-U.S. scene. It'd be very unfortunate for most people in both
countries, I think, if the 2 countries step into military/arms competition
like in the cold war times.

Best,
Angel

At 10:38 AM 4/11/01 -0700, you wrote:

>Good luck, Eva, in getting AMericans to recognize that anything
>of worth intellectually exists outside of the United States! After
>all, this is a country which is outraged when another country
>gets upset because we have surveillance aircraft flying 12 miles
>off its coast monitoring its activities, but could not imagine the
>reverse situation in their wildest dreams!
>
>Of course, some become infected by foreign viruses, but they are
>clearly deviants.
>:-)
>mike

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(Ontario Institute for Studies in Education,
University of Toronto)
Assistant Professor, Department of English and Communication
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Ave., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Fax: (852) 2788-8894; phone: (852) 2788-8122
E-mail: enangel@cityu.edu.hk
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/en/staff/angel/angel.html
http://www.tesl-hk.org.hk