DIALECTC, SYNTHESIS,

From: Nate (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 07:00:35 PDT

In reading both Mike and Jays message relating to expandability I have this
question.

We could use the 5th D or just consider it as part of the larger system of
after school care. Now especially in the last ten years it has emerged as a
different type of activity than say school or what kids would do at home.
Now, as we all know afterschool has had increased pressure to supplement
children's academic "needs". Recently of course even religious organizations
have gotton on the bandwagon - my mom's church runs a afterschool program
now which of course is heavily if not totally geared toward academic skills.

Now, we could talk of synthesis in regards to after school or religious
organizations in that they have become something different than say five
years ago. But the question in the back of my mind (left side - upper
corner) is ideally it would be the conservative - historical activities of
lets say "text reproducing" activities one would like to have a synthesis
of. I think school activities have been transformed somewhat - but in the
opposite direction of expandability - more text reproducing activities in
school.

So, my question is how does a new historical type of activity if its
"learning activity" "after school" or "5th D" expand other historical
activities such as school without being swallowed up in the process. As
Helen Keller once said we've had 2000 years of reform and its been an
absolute failure - it time we gave revolution a try. Or more to the point,
how can we expand the "text producing" activity into something different -
the synthesis Jay invoked.

Nate