RE: Object and activity

From: Charles Nelson (c.nelson@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 09:32:24 PDT

I believe that YE and others have commented on many/most people being
unaware of the "object" of the activity in which they're engaged.
This makes sense for me. I've had one "goal" after another, which has
led me along many different paths that partook of different
activities--without my being aware of any "object" of the activities
in which I engaged. The object seems generally to be for a collective
subject, whose individual members, constantly changing and unaware of
that collective object, are working towards personal, various goals,
which result effectively, not consciously, in the collective object.
So I wonder, except for researchers wanting to define their unit of
analysis and set boundaries, how else might the concept of "object"
be useful?

Charles Nelson