Russian SAT

From: William E. Blanton (blantonw@miami.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 02:33:18 PDT

Don

This just a stab in the test-taking dark.

I don't know Russian history, however, I remember that admission of Jews to
the university was unjust. LSV was selected for the university by lottery
for a limited number admissions. This would be part an example of part of
the history.

The outcome (on the face) is less corruption and equal opportunity, from
the view of the public.

The object would conceptual (plan for interpreting and making decision with
test information)

The Russian system is about to change. A cultural visitor (SATS) has
arrived. The collective admissions activity system will be disrupted. The
collective system will have to "learn", going through a ZPD that
transforms the current system to the new system.
As the system moves along, other systems may will expand and new systems
may have to be formed. For example, test industry will change, e.g., how
schools perform measurement and evaluation will change, curriculum will
change, university admissions systems will change, politicians will make
test performance a political object (if there is such a thing).

I don't know why you selected the issue. Candidates might include a recent
reading about the need to reduce the emphasis on SAT scores and increase
the emphasis on other variables to admit a more diverse student body, test
bias in your 540 class, just wondering why the Russians have decided to use
a measure that has created so many problems of our universities.

I am trying, who sees this differently?

bill Blanton