RE: who said?

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 13:17:36 PDT

Mike, one thing for sure - you never said or implied this. "OVER".

I think I reacted to this posting by Eugene Matusov:
"US Vygotskian school (or better to say a family of approaches) rejects the
Hegel-Marx-Vygotsky idea of one historical development of society and focus,
instead, on relations among cultures." Given that "the Hegel-Marx-Vygotsky
idea of one historical development" was meant to be the centerpiece of the
Russian school (in the same message), this did sound as a REJECTION, didn't
it? And rejection can't be done without this 'over' and this 'abandonment',
can it? And rejection is opposite to a dialogue, isn't it? -- this being my
main message, by the way. Or otherwise, I do not know what rejection is
about...

As to Davydov: I happened to see him giving talks in Germany, for example. I
was struck by how difficult it was for people there to make sense of his
words... I do blame the effects of being taken out of context (in many
senses of this expression, e.g., of him talking in an alien context with
often bad translation, of others not knowing his philosophy and
psychological framework etc) for this. As to 'a la Spencer', I think, in
essence, nothing can be farther away from Spencer's evolutionary thinking
than Davydov's cultural-historical view of learning as the pathway of
development and of mind as formed by cultural tools.
Anna