Re: Re(2): history-text relations

From: Judith Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 05:04:56 PST

I would like to applaud the last exchange between diane and Paul Dillon. I
thought it was a good example of respectful efforts to understand strongly
felt differences in perspective. I find myself "in between" -- I can't
imagine how anyone can say TODAY that different perspectives aren't
relevant to affecting social reality(ies), so it's hard for me to
understand Paul's difficulty with what I suspect is a majority consensus on
this list. On the other hand, I share Paul's orientation to practical
action, so I'm sympathetic to his protest against talk that does not serve
that project. The problem is that "that project" means differntly for
different ones of us, who all are concerned about a more equitable world.
I'm just as concerned about symbolic domination, which has material effects
& consequences, as I am about economic injustice, and I believe that
structural imbalances need to be addressed from multiple perspectives, in
various ways....

Judy