Engestrom Reading

From: Nate (SCHMOLZE1@HOME.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:10:09 PST

I am currently not able to access the mca webpage, so for now I put it up on
my site - address attached below.

http://members.home.net/schmolze1/expanding/toc.htm

What you'll find is a the new intro to the German edition (english) and the
introduction or chapter 1 to Learning by Expanding. I have also attached
unformatted text files for those who accessing the html files may be
difficult.

Don Cunningham will take on facilitator role for this reading which will
last for roughly a week.

As a side note with the current thread on history / culture / texts as
activity systems etc the reading seems to touch on those themes a bit. That
of course may just be me and my interest in how history is or how it can be
conceptualized in a "critical" fashion.

Lastly, I would like to thank Yrjö for making this available. I think there
are some interesting differences between European and American
conceptualizations of Vygotsky and I look forward to hashing through those
differences. IMHO those in Europe and elsewhere are much more familiar with
Americanized versions of Vygotsky (CHAT) than the other way around, which is
to say it was interesting seeing names floated around that I have not heard
before.

Nate

 "The individual, when he apprehends himself as such, is social in his
essence. He is social not as a result of external contingencies, but by
virtue of an internal necessity, by virtue of his genesis." Henri Wallon